Regulatory compliance represents a major challenge for the construction industry: there is no choice to comply because it is the law. The construction industry faces tough penalties for non-compliance with increasing fines. In 2016 OSHA’s approved budget allows it to increase the maximum limit for fines by 80 percent
It is up to construction firms to take steps to manage their regulatory obligations and it’s worth the investment in tools that will improve compliance. Following compliance often leads to better efficiency, improved health and safety records, cost savings, and a good reputation for your firm.
The use of technology can help to overcome construction compliance challenges. A mobile device with a robust inspection software installed goes a long way for improving construction compliance. Inspection software with features such as asset tracking, site specific reporting, safety and document management, are helpful tools when compliance is a critical part of any industry.
Here are 6 ways a mobile inspection software will help construction compliance:
- Site-specific Reporting and VisibilityWith a mobile device, inspections and reports can be synched back to head office with the click of a button. An inspection software with reporting capabilities such as Punch List Reports, will give managers instant visibility of any site at any time so they can respond to hazards for corrective action in a timely manner.Furthermore, creating reports digitally greatly reduces administration costs and costly, ill-informed decisions due to poor data quality. Digital inspections enable quicker inspection turnaround so serious defects can be addressed and re-inspected in an overall shorter timeframe to ensure safety with minimal downtime. With the data and reporting features of an inspection software, a preventative maintenance schedule can be established.
- Paperless Field OperationsErrors due to incomplete answers and poor penmanship plague paper-based inspections. Furthermore, paper inspection forms are often compiled over time and so become disjointed and without a logical sequence to how an inspection should progress. A mobile inspection software solution allows inspectors to follow a sequence and ensures all answers are complete. Incomplete answers are highlighted and the inspection cannot be submitted until all questions are completely answered. Most mobile inspection devices support image, RFID, and barcode capture which ensure a higher level of detail and accuracy that pen and paper inspections cannot accomplish.
- Digital Safety ManagementWith a mobile inspection software, standards are pre-defined and as questions are answered they are measured directly against them. This allows the inspector to easily identify non-compliance issues on the spot. Furthermore, mobile inspection apps can measure the weighting, thresholds, and the criticality of each item inspected, allowing for actionable reports to be created immediately if a serious defect is discovered.
- Replacing Paper Forms with a Mobile DeviceCompliance means improving productivity by reducing the types of injuries and illnesses that lead to work stoppages and costly workers’ compensation claims. On a large worksite, it can be a challenge to ensure all safety needs are being met by the teams of workers. With a mobile inspection device, it becomes possible to update inspection forms quickly. If a special inspection needs to be conducted, or additional inspection points need to be added to an asset, you can send updated forms right to the smart phone or tablet.
- Digital Document ManagementCommunicate compliance requirements to inspectors and across your organization – with better access to standards across your organization, you can more easily identify areas that need improvement and ensure that your overall safety goals are being met.An inspection software that provides document management can have critical EHS information and tools at hand attached directly inside the inspections. Any sort of instructions on answering questions can also be included.
- Asset TrackingWith an inspection software system, asset tracking becomes easy. Within the system you will have inspection and maintenance histories, detailed checklists, and look-back analysis which facilitates safety, corrective actions, and process improvements that can prevent costly accidents or recurrences.With an inspection software solutions, inspections are completed faster and with greater accuracy which will reduce the likelihood of fines from outside inspection agencies for non-compliance.
The use of technology can help to overcome construction compliance challenges and will put you ahead of your competitors who are using a paper based inspection method. A mobile inspection and safety audit solution will lead to better efficiency, improved health and safety records, cost savings, and a good reputation for your firm.